Friday, January 28, 2011

Chew on this

I've been cleaning out the overflowing blog reader and stumbled on two posts that set me thinking: one from a blogger commenting on another blogger's post about privilege and representation, and the other about buying PDF knitting patterns and what knitwear designers' work is worth.

P1280150

I've started the Maude Honeycomb Blanket from Vintage Baby Knits and I'm loving it. I'm loving it so much, in fact, that I'm thinking about keeping it for my own newborn instead of giving it to the intended recipient. We'll see if this selfishness wins out or if I'll get so sick of knitting a baby blanket (I've knit one before -- the log cabin pattern from the first Mason Dixon book -- and swore never again to do a blanket) that I'll want to get it out of my sight.

P1280151

I hope I'm not the only knitter out there who has knit little or nothing for their own kids, but have jumped at the chance to knit something for others' children. I'm guessing that it's because the majority of items knit for kids are clothing, and I know how quickly they outgrow those items, and it seems like such a waste if they're not going to wear it for very long. At least that's the way I feel about knitting for my own -- but for someone else, sure!

No comments: