Monday, October 25, 2010

40 percent

In an effort to hunt down some long-hiding needles in long-forgotten projects, I recently decided to frog some UFOs that have been hibernating for a long time (years, in some cases). I opened up my bin of UFOs and took a look at the project and asked myself, would I be willing to jump back into this project right now and finish it? In about 60 percent of the cases, the answer was no, which made the ripping easy.

But the longer I dug through the WIPs and ripped out those circular needles I was so happy to see again and wound all that kinky frogged yarn into balls, I began to see a trend: A good number of the projects were stopped at about the 40 percent-done mark. Why would I cast aside a project just as I was about halfway through it? What would make me ignore a project just as things were getting good? Getting stuck on a pattern question, probably. Boredom, definitely.

And I was disappointed in myself, how I'd let those hours and hours of work go to waste. Just about in tears after ripping out the back of a sweater, I noticed some toe-up single socks that were just about to the heel and decided to save them. It's Socktober (it's almost over, but still), so why not try to finish these up? I saved them from the frog pile and am hoping to tackle these over the next few weeks. Let's see if I can crank these out!

DSC_0062

Oh, and one of these socks is a recently started project -- the Trilobite Socks from "Socks from the Toe Up," in the Plucky Knitter MCN in Sheridan. Soooo nice.

DSC_0063

1 comment:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Good for you for reclaiming the needles *and* the yarn! and good luck getting the socks done. It's sock weather, for sure.