Wednesday, November 23, 2011

(Thanks)Giving

I've wanted to return to the blog several times in the past few months, but either I was too busy or too sick or too uninspired to write. I had some pics to share and stuff to talk about about VKL, but then it seemed too long ago to remember the details really well. Someday, when I find my camera and can get all the photos where I'm smiling cheesily next to the stars of the knitting world, I'll do a post about it.

Along with being too busy or too sick or too uninspired, I haven't gotten a lot of knitting done. But something happened, something unusual, to give me a kick in the pants to get back on the knitting horse: knitting gifts for others.

Usually doing this is a pain and half the time I don't end up finishing anyway, or I get too shy and think the recipient won't like it and end up stuffing it in a drawer. This time, I'm determined to make some really nice, smaller projects. Once those are done, I can return to my regularly scheduled selfish knitting.

1) Anouk

My DS No. 2 was born on the same day as his girl cousin. They're about to celebrate their first birthdays together, so I wanted to make something special for both of them. For the niece, Anouk.

photo1

I've had this yarn since, oh, 2006 , or was it 2005? It's the suggested yarn, Cascade Pima Tencel, and it's soooo soft. However, the yarn does tend to get a fuzzy halo around it -- not pilling exactly, but looks like it has some slight wear. Because I wanted to make a larger size than the one I originally had planned on, I ordered more yarn and, can you believe it, the dye lots are still right on! Way to go, Cascade!

I decided to knit it in the round since I had less than 2 weeks to finish, and I'm glad I did. I've gotten pretty far in only a few days, and hope to have it finished this weekend.

2)Vest from More Last-minute Knitted Gifts

I again went with the suggested yarn and am finally getting to try Spud & Chloe Sweater. It feels wonderfully sproingy despite the cotten content, and I'm so happy that it's superwash! Also, it won't roast my little man alive when he wears it for his birthday party.

photo2

3)Some mitts for Mum

The other day I was at my parents' house and noticed a pair of fingerless mitts I made for my mother during the Fingerless Mitts Blowout of 2008. They were made in some super bulky Alpaca With a Twist and they had a hole in the palm. A hole! A sign of wear! She actually wears them every day, on her morning walks. I was so jazzed to see someone regularly using my handknits (even I don't use my knits that much) I decided to knit her a new pair, maybe even several. Heck, handwarmers for everyone -- looks like it's gonna be another Fingerless Mitts Blowout!

No comments: